When registering your business as a sole proprietorship or partnership you need to get a business certificate (also called a certificate of assumed name) from the county in which your business will operate from. Getting the business certificate allows you to do a number of things, such as operate under a different name and open up a business bank account to name a few.
Step 1: Get three copies of the appropriate form. For sole proprietorship form x-201. For partnerships Form x-74. You can get these forms on (http://www.blumberg.com)
Step 2: Complete the forms and get all three of them notarized
Step 3: Go to your county clerk’s office to register and get your business certificate
The Cost: It cost approximately $100-$120 for the filing fee for the business certificate.
Where are the county Clerks Offices?
- Bronx: 851 Grand Concourse, Room 118 Bronx, NY 10451
- Queens: 88-11 Sutphin Blvd, Room 106 Queens, NY 11435
- Brooklyn: Supreme Court Building 360 Adams St, Room 189 Brooklyn, NY 11201
- Staten Island: 130 Stuyvesant Place Staten Island, NY 10301
- Manhattan: Supreme Court Bldg 60 Centre St, Room 103B New York, NY 10